Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Why is One neither Prime nor Composite?

I tried creating a post on the much talked Oracle's 'Siebel Acquisition' and the implications of the same (Hope one of them does not manifest as retrenchment). Seems like there was a problem with the proxy settings, it was swallowed twice and i am not doing it anymore.

I have been home for my B'day. And it has been seven years since i celebrated the same with my Parents. Took some cooking lessons from my mum. I have to put these newly acquired culinary skills to practice this weekend. Very much looking forward to it.
Also this weekend will be my first 'working' visit to Parikrma. Looking forward eagerly for the same too.

There are scores off issues that we trivialise and not think about. One of them an issue with Basic Math.
Why is 1 neither prime nor composite?. When my friend asked me the reason, i was short of words, i knew the reason but i could not explain it satisfactorily in a verbose manner.
Before looking down try to tell yourself the answer!!

A prime number can be defined as the one that has two and ONLY two DIFFERENT divisors. So our poor 'one' cannot come into this category.
A composite number should be decomposible with neither of factors as 1. Hence one cannot come into this category as well.
QED ('Quite Easily Done' as our Math Prof. used to put it :) )
http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/57036.html gives a better perspective.

Lesson Learned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home